Garden Spike Lights
Whether you select a 12v low voltage or 240v mains voltage version, garden spike lights are ideal additions to your garden lighting scheme. They are easy to place, just pop into the soil with their earth spike where you wish to put them. Most come with directional heads so you can place the light where you want it. These spike lights are great for highlighting areas and features in your garden such as flowerbeds, shrubbery, trees and ornamental features.
12v Low Voltage
- Safety – 12 volts is inherently safer for children and pets
- A larger selection of good quality spike light fittings to choose.
- Easier installation of cables in borders and planting – flexible cables to spike spotlights can be several times longer than to 240-volt garden lights and you can move them around more easily.
- Larger ranges of lamps to choose from that are brighter, whiter, more energy efficient and longer lasting than the 240-volt versions. Some 12-volt lights are twice as efficient as their 240-volt equivalents.
- If you have an accident with a low voltage cable, it is usually easier to fix.
240v Mains voltage
- No need to use transformers
- You do not need to pay such close attention to voltage drop in 240-volt cables as you do at 12 volt
- There are some good energy efficient 240-volt compact fluorescent lamps available helping to save on running costs.
Another consideration is the LED version. LEDs are long life light sources with low maintenance, giving the consumer great value in terms of low cost running costs due to their low energy consumption. In most cases, you can save up to 85% in energy consumption. Also LED spike lights run cool to the touch which is great for children, pets and wildlife.
You can add a splash of colour with coloured lamps giving a dramatic effect to the garden. You can even use LED RGB colour changing lamps to have sweeps of subtle pastel colours falling across your flowerbeds at night creating a stunning effect.